Saturday, February 28, 2009

wicked fun

Accepting an art challenge based on Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West was a bit scary. I mean, The Wizard of Oz scared the bejeebies outta me as a kid. I really didn't want to dream about crazy flying monkeys at this point in my life. But something inside me said to do it. My DH bought the audiobook so I wouldn't work from my childhood memories. What a story! I was totally engaged within the first hour. My mind whirled with ideas for a piece. Unfortunately, I'm new to most mixed-media techniques, so countless hours were spent experimenting, researching, asking questions, etc. Although my vision constantly changed, I HAD A BLAST! My completed effort is shown here... mixed media (acrylic paint, polymer clay, UTEE (with aluminum beneath), paper) on an 8x8 canvas. My thanks to Mary from Green Woman Creating for sharing instructions for how she made her brown tissue paper tree (I used an old sewing pattern spritzed with walnut ink) and the wonderful group of talented souls at Mixed Media Mischief Makers for hosting the challenge, encouraging me & answering my questions.

http://greenwomandesign.blogspot.com/
http://mixedmediamischiefmakers.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Pearl said...

Just passing through. I read your "Welcome to my blog" thingo so I felt obliged to comment cause I also love it when random people write to me.
You've got a lovely blog, that Wicked piece is awesome, I think I'm going to watch it soon...:)

Tumble Fish Studio said...

This is beautiful! I would love to see it in person! It is always a pleasure to visit your blog and try to catch up. You leave us with so many inspiring thoughts and quotes and pretty things to look at. Your blog is coming along so beautifully and I love seeing all of your gorgeous work.

Thank you for all of your good thoughts and support. They have meant more than you know - truly special to me.
marsha