Sunday, August 16, 2009

renewed enthusiasm & goal setting

I enjoy photography. I am not educated in the craft, knowing next-to-nothing about aperture, shutter speed, etc., but I enjoy taking photos none-the-less.

Those of you that follow my blog know I submitted photos to the Iowa State Fair this year and none of them were accepted. While disappointing, it was really a gift in disguise (most disappointments are). We attended the Iowa State Fair on Friday and as we do every year, visited the Photography Salon first to see all the beautiful and inspiring photographs, paying particular attention to those on the wall with ribbons. Afterwards, I asked to retrieve my photos from the back room and was lucky enough to have the Superintendent of the event assist me. He asked if I'd like his feedback on my work. Did I ever?! He looked at each of my photos with me, telling me specifically what I could've done differently that most likely would've earned entrance into the show and even ribbons for a couple of them. He said it was clear I have a good eye and he knew if I worked at it, I'd be in the event next year, giving me all kinds of tips & suggestions. Now, obviously, he wants to grow the event (they broke records again this year) but he was so truly passionate and enthusiastic about photography and helping me learn & understand things, that I believe him. Spending 10-15 minutes with him was the highlight of my day! When we left the building, I sat down and made notes from everything he'd told me, so as not to forget a thing!

After that, and some fair food, we took in all the fantastic pieces at the Fine Arts event and then the Arts & Crafts area. Usually I gravitate to the mixed media pieces, but this year, it was a color-washed pen & ink drawing that caught my eye. The piece has so much going on in it I could look at it for hours. Most importantly, it stirred a feeling in me I cannot describe. That's what I someday want my art/photos/whatever to do. Tell a story ~ evoke emotions ~ transport the viewer somewhere.

At the working artist tent, I met the air brush artist my DH recently took classes from. What a talented & nice guy and wow, his work blew me away. What an inspirational morning it was! I just love our fair...

Today's task? I'm goal driven. If I don't have specific goals, I sway all over the place without purpose. Today I'm going to check the status of my 2009 goals and consider tweaking them. I was bad, putting them away a few months ago, which is a big no-no. Out of sight is out of mind for me. The year is more than half over already. Things change and need re-evaluated from time to time. There's no better day than today!

How about you? Do you have specific goals? I'm curious.... how often do you review and possibly modify them?

6 comments:

Julie Prichard said...

Your trip to the fair sounds amazing...I'm with you, talking with the photo guy would have been my high-light too!

Goals? I tend to h ave one at a time...I try to knock them off one at a time as best as I can...there are a couple of dreams for far away goals simmering here and there, but mostly, I keep my sights on one at a time.

xo

Melissa ;-) said...

First off, I am so happy to hear about your meeting at the fair. I really do love your work, though I am untrained and blissfully unaware of what you could have done better. I am sure you will be able to put the hints you received to good use!

As far as goals, right now they are pretty much month to month with me because of all of the swaps and challenges and all I am in. I have to keep a calendar and stay on top of it to stay on time!

di from di-did-it said...

Thanks for responding, ladies! I'm not surprised you both set goals, as you are both successful. Maybe I need to scale mine back a bit or narrow the focus.

"Nothing can add more power to your life than concentrating all your energies on a limited set of targets." ~ Nido Qubein

PS~ Thanks, Melissa, for the comments on my photos!

Denise Moore said...

Wow, what a great opportunity to hear from the event coordinator about your work. I think sometimes it can feel like such a mystery.
I am sure you will be in there next year!
On goal setting I set 3 big ones that are really going to take me 1-2 yrs to achieve. I am going to make a board for my studio that will visually represent these goals. That way they will remind me daily of where I am headed.

di from di-did-it said...

What a great idea! I don't like having my goals out in the open for just anyone to chance upon. I will come up with ways to visually represent my goals so I'll see them daily but only I will know what they mean. Thank you!

Therese said...

Alas another thing we have in common! I love taking photos and don'tknow a thing about it LOLOL! But I am practicing all the time. How wonderful for you to have your work critiqued! I used to be so shy about it...then I turned 50 and grew up LOLOL! I welcome critiquing...may not always agree, but other's perpectives can be so enlightening and inspirational!